Pages

10/23/12

Hello, Halloween

As a kid, I always enjoyed Halloween. I mean, dressing up in awesome costumes, free candy, staying up late...what's not to like? Sadly, I believe as I've gotten older, the fun factor has decreased quite a bit. (And I honestly believe that the typical college Halloween party is highly overrated.) I've only celebrated Halloween twice since coming to university: 2007 (my freshman year), and 2009.

In 2007, I just went to the whole Party City store-bought costume route, which turned out to be fine, but totally boring. In 2009, I decided to get more creative. I wanted a cute costume, but I didn't want to go full, you know, Mean Girls-style (aka slutty). I also wanted something original. So I spent weeks (I got a little obsessive) searching online for interesting and unusual ideas for costumes. I finally ended up going with the White Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia series. Personally, I thought it was awesome; however I did have to tell almost everyone who I was supposed to be (everyone who cared, at least). I guess it wasn't as obvious as a nurse or a cop. But it was a lot of fun coming up with a costume!

I'm sure there's a picture out there (somewhere) of me and my amigos that Halloween, but I can't find it. I was never the person who always carried a camera around. Looks like it's finally coming back to bite me.
Anyways, I know there are some pretty good imitations of this look out there, but seeing as I was incredibly broke, I went for a looser (and cheaper) interpretation.
my outfit included: 
silver sequin pumps
silver leggings
white pillowcase (for the dress)
white sweater
white fake fur vest
lots of white frosty makeup
some silver and glass beads for the hair

Seriously, if you ever need a cheap dress that it going to be partly covered up, just buy a pillowcase and cut three holes (two for the arms, one for the head). It's inexpensive and fast and pretty much awesome.

So this year, my geology club (don't laugh, nerds like to get a little crazy too) is possibly getting a Halloween party together. Oh lordy I hope it works out, because I have a few ideas for some simple(ish) and unique costumes.

Kiss
Obviously, Gene Simmons' The Demon is the most recognizable, but any would be fun and totally doable. Check out their wikipedia page for all the different makeup styles of all the present/former band members (some are really cool!)
The clothing would be easy: lots of black and silver. And can't forget the 80s hair!


the Wicked Witch of the West
Green face paint, all-black clothing, and a hat and broom. Easy!
Seeing as how I'm from Kansas, the whole Dorothy thing gets done a lot. And it's fun and also a good potential costume to put together yourself, but the Wicked Witch would be just as fun, very recognizable, and quite a bit more original.

Cleopatra
Here's your chance to show off some killer makeup skills!
This one is a little more common, but it's still not one I see too often in real life. Plus, putting together your own costume is a good way to make it more interesting than just buying one. And heck, I'll use any excuse to do crazy stuff to my hair!

Disney Princess
Not incredibly original, but never a bad idea. There are so many choices! No need to wear a full ball gown to get the look; just go with the same color scheme.


So I like all these ideas, but I'm always looking for something new and seriously out-there. Halloween is the perfect time to get away with crazy hair and makeup, so might as well go all out. Any other costume ideas? If you're dressing up, what/who will you be going as?

No comments:

Post a Comment