Pages

10/28/12

The 90s reemerging

Over the last few months I've read in a few different places about how the 90s are back "in" (check it out here, here, and here). As a child of the 90s, this both excites and horrifies me. Usually when it comes to trends, I try to view them not as "this is what you should be wearing now" and more as "here's something to get you out of your comfort zone; take it or leave it." More times than not, I pass on a trend (at least in the beginning). But how could I do that to my childhood decade? I think the important thing here is knowing when to say yes. And more importantly, when to say no.

I'll be saying YES to:

printed leggings
Because, hey, you only live once, right?
Elephant Paisley LEGGINGS Urban Outfitters

knee-high and over-the-knee socks
Cher did it wonderfully then, but instead I think I'll pair mine with tights/legging and boots on a cold day.
source

mood rings
Instead of getting mine out of the 25¢ jewelry machine at the skate rink, I'll look for a cocktail ring.
source

solid tees with blazers
Formerly for men, I'll go with a boyfriend-style blazer and a more fitted shirt. Dance floor not required.
source

middle part
I'll probably skip the bowl-cut.
source

flannel
Seeing as how I'm from Kansas, flannel never really went "out" of style. But I do love the way Mary-Kate styled hers here. <insert obligatory Kurt Cobain reference>
source

rollerblading
Best. Childhood. Pasttime. Ever. No swimsuit or boardwalk required.
source

Clueless
I was unaware this was never not fashionable...?
Singlehandedly doing more to improve your vocabulary in 2 hours of film than 4 years of high school ever did.
source


I'll be saying NO to:

scrunchies, especially plaid scrunchies
Between growing up in the 90s and being a gymnast, I've had enough of these to last me 100 lifetimes.
source

overalls with one strap undone
Will Smith, I adore you, however I do not wish to re-live 2nd grade.
source

 man tanks
Since I am not a man, technically this does not apply to me; however, I do have a pair of working eyes, and they do not agree with this look.
turtlenecks
Even my mother could not force me into these when I was a young'un, so it's doubtful I'll be putting one on voluntarily anytime soon.
source

hoop earrings
They come in all shapes, sizes, materials, and styles, yet they've never quite tickled my fancy.
source

sweaters tied around the waist
I feel like this is really all it's good for:
source

skorts
I'm never going there again.
source
Sorry Kim, even a designer name attached to that won't save you.
source


Trends with which I will PROCEED WITH CAUTION:

jelly shoes
They've updated the style, but I wonder if they still make your feet smell as bad...?
source RIGHT Steve Madden Swirly Flats

Doc Martens
I had a pair in 7th grade, but I'm feeling pretty "meh" about them.
The 90s are calling...

crimped hair
Because curling iron curls are getting kind of boring (no offense T. Swift). Plus it's a little rock 'n roll. And I can never say no to that.
source source

ripped jeans
Whether you go for a little ripped or a lot ripped (I like them all), make sure everything else is hole-free. You want to look devil-may-care, not homeless.
source source RIGHT American Eagle Jeggings

hair wraps
If you're feeling like you're in a hair rut, go for it! However, I would not take this to the day job...
source

So how about you? Will you welcome the 90s back with open arms, or are you going to finally make use of those D.A.R.E. assemblies and "just say no"?

No comments:

Post a Comment