Pages

2/10/13

Finding personal style

I decided to write this post for a few different reasons. At the moment, it's not really a "how to find personal style" because that would entail me understanding how I found mine, which *spoiler alert* I haven't. And that's what this post is about. It'll probably involve some excuses (which I hope you'll instead take as explanations), some deep and not-so-deep musings, and hopefully a decent amount of pictures. (I always feel that when a blog post goes beyond the optimum words-to-pictures ratio I get a bit disinterested. So in the interest of not getting disinterested, here's a picture for you)

I didn't choose the thug life; the thug life chose me. (on the right)

So I wouldn't say I "struggle" with my personal style. I feel like struggle is a very strong word to be using for something that is purely about aesthetics. So I'm not going to agonize over it to the same extent that I do about changing my major for the 10th time. However, it's still something I care about and like to indulge in, so I will indeed put some thought into it. (It's picture break time now, isn't it?)

Can you tell my parents had a thing for dressing us like we're twins? (We're not.) (I'm on the right.)

The problem I'm seeming to have is, not only can I not seem to find my "base" personal style, I can't seem to even find the words to describe what I'm trying to describe. (Seriously. I've rewritten this paragraph like 15 times now.) Sure, I can go through a magazine looking at pictures, saying yes I like this and no I don't like that...but we all know that is a lot different than when you get dressed each morning.

So I think this is why I'm having a little trouble getting inspired for blog posts or DIYs or even putting on something in the morning that is more interesting than jeans and a sweater.

My mom can't take the blame for this one though. (apparently I like to stand on the same side in photos)

So even though I really enjoy fashion, I'm not always in the right state of mind to produce it myself. And I don't have a sewing machine. (And I really don't have the money to buy one, although I would love to have one. I'm sure I'd get some good use out of it.) And the only camera I have is the one attached to my phone, so taking outfit shots would look like something out of "typical 7th grade facebook photos". (I know, I know, excuses.)

Surprise, I actually have two sisters, not one. (And an unfortunate bangs era, in the middle.) 

I guess I'm trying to not only figure out what I want my blog to say, but what I want my clothes to say as well. So I'm going back to basics. I'm going to try to define my style and maybe get out of my comfort zone a little (I might actually buy something pink!).

Piper sure likes the color pink.

Although I envy the people who just kind of have the natural ability to look chic or cool or whatever (or just don't have problems with not wearing hoodies), I think the great part is figuring it all out. As Miley would say (yes, I'm about to quote a Miley Cyrus song...don't flinch, just go with it), it's not about what's waitin....okay no I changed my mind, I'm not going there. Basically, figuring it all out is, in all honesty, 95% of what makes it so fun. So, here's to getting back to basics.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment